Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Healthier Inner Dialogue - Fear

When I look back across my many years of reading, there is one book that stands out as a life-changing read:  Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers.  I've included a link to Amazon, but it's so old now that you can probably find it in your local library if you want to check it out.

Jeffers talks about a variety of tips and techniques for getting past fear, but this one is my favourite:

"At the bottom of every one of your fears is simply the fear that you can't handle whatever life may bring you."


Isn't that entirely the truth?

When you are afraid of public speaking, you're afraid that you will mess it up and be embarrassed and won't be able to handle it.

When you are afraid of accepting that invitation to the blogger's conference, you're afraid that nobody will talk to you and you won't be able to handle it.

When you are afraid of accepting that big company's campaign, you're afraid that you won't be able to meet the responsibilities and you won't be able to handle it.

How many times have we blown it AND lived to tell about it! We're human, we're going to make mistakes, and we're going to move on.

So, again from Susan Jeffers:

"All you have to do to diminish your fear is to develop more trust in your ability to handle whatever comes your way."

Sounds easy doesn't it, lol.  I tend to trust that I can handle situations now, because I've always handled situations in the past.  I draw on that past strength and it makes me stronger in the present.

That doesn't mean that I've always made perfect decisions (woohoo,...nope, far from it).  It just means that even when I've screwed up things, I carry on, make another decision and keep moving ahead.

You don't have to be old like me though (wink) to be less fearful.  By doing the things that you fear, you can get past your fear.  Trust yourself and pretty soon that fear will disappear (or at least not hold you back).

What is your biggest fear? Mine is not being perfect,...I guess I should refer back to the Perfectionism post, huh.  :)




2 comments:

Tina Bradley said...

Aside from snakes? ;) My greatest fear also relates to imperfection (even though I know perfection is simply an illusion). Here's to the many of us on the path of overcoming our fears!!! xo T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

Magic Love Crow said...

My biggest fear? I guess how people look at me? Am I good enough?? My looks? But, I have to say, I am getting better! Sometimes, I just say now screw it! You have to judge me, I don't want you around me ;o))) LOL!