Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Healthier Inner Dialogue - Change It Up

I do this thing.  It's kind of weird. Well, maybe a lot weird, but it really works for me. I change the endings to things so that I like them better.

I find this especially helpful when it comes to commercials. I think we will all agree that a lot (a LOT!) of commercials are just plain stupid, or even worse - annoying. So instead of getting all tense and irritated (a land where I tend to reside a good deal of the time), I make up a new ending.


Now, instead of that stupid pizza commercial with the gorgeous guy and gorgeous girl sitting on this bridge staring into each others' eyes,....makes me gag,...UNLESS,..I change it up. Instead of a sappy lovers ending, I put red dots on their heads and snipers in the background. Oooh, NOW this is a commercial I can enjoy.

See how I did that? If something is irritating or doesn't really turn out the way that you would prefer,...just imagine that it does.

This can actually be done in a much less lethal way.  :)

I do this sometimes when, let's say, there is a dirty cup left on the counter. Instead of getting all pissy, thinking "why am I the dirty cup maid?", I change it around. I imagine my hubby about to rinse his cup and put it in the dishwasher, when he gets a phone call that he absolutely has to take right away. He believes that it will be short and he will get back to the cup in a few minutes.

I happen to get there first. Now, doesn't that sound like a much better scenario than just leaving the cup for whoever else to put away? Of course it does.

This doesn't solve any deep-seated problems in a relationship but it is absolutely irreplaceable for helping out with little things like dirty coffee cups. Give it a try and let me know if it doesn't work for you. Plus, the commericals.  :)  Just sayin'.

3 comments:

Kei said...

I make up new endings for TV series I liked. In my head, Torchwood finished halfway through series 2, and Spike went for Willow over Buffy!
When it comes to family doing things that annoy me I try to ask them nicely/assertively to change, rather than imagining a scenario to fix it.

Tina Bradley said...

Love it! I am going to try the switching up the end of a commercial, myself. I can see some big fun in doing so! ;) xo T.

Mindy said...

That's so funny. I can honestly say I've never done that. But I'm totally gonna try it.