Friday, March 29, 2013

Broken

Okay guys, it's Friday again and it's another episode of Five Minute Friday.  This week's theme is "Broken".  Scary topic really.  I am trying to think of anything that might be good or positive or even neutral and also described as broken. Let me know if you gals come up with anything.

If you want to join in, head on over to Lisa-Jo's site to join in the fun, then just click on the button.

Lisa-Jo Baker, Five Minute Friday


In the meantime,.....here we go.

START

What do you think of when you think of 'broken'? Do you think of the glass vase that you dropped last week, full of perky yellow tulips thrusting to welcome spring?  A slip-and-fall embarrassment that snaps the frail bone of your forearm when the winter's ice reaches up and trips you?  A promise perhaps, that you carelessly threw at your younger brother then dismissed and forgot without much care at all?

I suppose there are many, many avenues to trudge down when you think of broken, but what I think of,.....I pause here,....wondering what I do think of when I hear the word broken.  Some time passes and I finally think of broken people.  Small frail tiny broken people.

Are we all broken?  Do you ever wonder that? I think we are.  Some people broken in the smallest ways, others in deep chasms, but all of us, nevertheless broken.  Broken because we are fixating on pleasing others.  Broken because we trusted someone who said they were going to be here forever, and then they weren't.  Broken because we are focused on our waistline.  Broken because we believe what other people say.

So many ways to be broken that we all can grab up one of them and wear the badge.  I find that as I get older, I feel more compassion towards broken things.  They both bother me and instigate compassion.

STOP

Wow,..that was a quick five minutes.  I'm not sure I even finished my thoughts there.  I guess I just wanted to say that as I get older, I feel more compassionate and more understanding towards other people and their brokenness.  We are all broken in some way and knowing that, we should be able to come closer.

Do you find that as you age, you become more compassionate? Or perhaps not?

4 comments:

Tina Bradley said...

As I age, I am realizing that broken has its own beauty. A broken clay pot in the flower garden has more character--as do broken pieces of a clay pot--I love to scatter those amongst the grouped, unbroken flower pots. Just makes things look--better! :)

Mindy said...

Wow, I would have fallen into the TMI category with that subject. When I first saw the word, I immediately saw myself. Bravo to those who are mentally healthy enough to think of a broken object first. :o)

Kara @ Petals to Picots Crochet said...

I do feel like we get more compassionate as we get older. We end up going through so many things we never thought would happen to us, problems with marriages, kids, jobs, etc. And over time stop judging so harshly when similar things happen to others.

Magic Love Crow said...

Terry, fantastic! I feel, I have always been compassionate and now that I am getting older, I feel I still am compassionate, but more wise! If that makes sense? Unfortunately, when you are a kind person, you get taken advantage of, and that's why I look before I leap now ;o) Happy Easter ;o)