Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fresh New 2013

There is something so fresh and promising about a new year.  You can look over your shoulder and see the past year being erased leaving you with a clean unmarred surface in front of you on which to put your dreams.

Just as so many other people do, I want to accomplish things this year.  Some happiness things, some diet and exercise things, and some writing things.

One of the goals I have under the happiness category is to nurture my relationships.  I am getting help with this goal by Gretchen Rubin who wrote The Happiness Project and Happier at Home.  She is having a 21-day relationship challenge and you can sign up for her daily resolution by email.  You can jump in any time so don't be shy.

The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin

Under the health category, I am getting a thrice daily (isn't that a funny word, thrice?) walk with Libby which is taking care of my exercise needs for the moment (a daily yoga practise will be added in the near future as well).  I am also doing a bunch of little things that I hope will turn into habits:  drinking a glass of lemon water first thing; adding a green smoothie as lunch or a snack daily; refraining from that beloved second glass of wine after dinner; and, maintaining my current weight.  :)

Libby

I found a great writing tips resource to help with the writing resolution.  Dana Sitar is a freelance journalist and indie author.  She is the brains behind the blog DIY Writing and the author of the book "A Writer's Bucket List" that is available now for pre-order and for sale starting on February 5th.


This book has 99 writing suggestions, many of them things I had not ever thought about.  I'm committed to improving my writing quality and quantity, and her book is already helping.  I've started with the suggestion to write poetry.  I am so far shocked at how difficult this is.  Do you write poetry?  I would love to read one of your pieces.

This is what I came up with for my first attempt.  One of my writing muses (The Kid from Rindy Mae) suggested the theme:  "ocean".  So here goes.


Whoosh. Whoosh.  
Wobbly teal waves somersaulting. 
Rolling.  Rolling.
Stumbling, a little dizzy.
Whoa. Whoa.
Bumping into the sand.  Pardon me.
Giggling.  Giggling.  
Self-consciously sneaking back out.
Whoosh. Whoosh.

I always find titles to be the hardest part of any writing.  Would you like to suggest a title for the poem?

9 comments:

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Libby is so cute!! And I am terrible at titles, too!!

Tina Bradley said...

How about "Psychedelic Beach?" ;) Titles probably aren't my strong suit, either. :)

I'd love to bring your little Libby to my house. Tabitha wouldn't stand for it, though!

Happy, happy 2013, Terry! T.

Macey said...

I always try to get "punny" with titles. Not good. LOL
Also, our bookclub is reading Happier at Home right now!

Kei said...

I totally admire your motivation to do those things, especially the health stuff! (I find exercise soooo hard, and can't say no to a second glass of wine when there's some on the go!)
Would make title suggestions but I struggle with titles too lol

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

couple things...first...you are giving up your second glass of wine??? I'll have it for you. second...I love that you are trying poetry and if this is your first attempt, it's a grand one! Perhaps you have missed your calling? I'm not much for titles...sorry!

Anonymous said...

good for you!!! your goals are great!! i wanted to start writing also..was considering an on line course to improve writing..started with poetry so I totality bagged....
i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
good luck!!

Mindy said...

The Kid would like to name your poem, Whoosh Whoosh, Goes The Waves.
He likes it. :o)

Annie said...

I cannot help you with the title, since I am not creative in that department... but I just wanted to say, "Your Libby is ADORABLE!"

Magic Love Crow said...

Good for you my friend ;o) I'm happy you are doing all these little changes ;o) I love Libby ;o) Your poem is excellent! Again, I have to say, don't force anything. It's funny, like painting, I will wake up, thinking of a poem or story and have to write it down. My advice, always have a pen and paper on you, because when you least expect it, something will pop into your mind! A title for a poem....???.....How about, "The Warrior" ;o) Don't know where that came from, it just came to me ;o) Hugs ;o)