Friday, August 24, 2012

Silly Stories for Kids


This is a heap of silliness that I wrote for my nephew, Lucas.  Every week or so I plan on writing up a silly scene (pure free writing - nothing literary here) and mailing it to him.

I'll keep the collection in a tab at the top of the blog in case you want to share some of this frivolous fun with a kiddo in your life.

Be warned that there may be references to puke, farts, burps, gooey things, snakes, lizards, poop, etc.  My main goal is to entertain a 5-year-old boy and maybe, just maybe, help him develop an interest in reading.  So now you're warned.  :)

Here's the first one:

*************************************************************
Lucas, Alexa and the Lizards

Lucas Cohoe is a 5-year-old boy when our story begins.  He has blond hair and blue eyes and a clever little grin.  Most of the time he is a happy little boy, but he craves adventure.  Just like his hero, Batman, he wants to beat up the bad guys and save the good guys.  The only problem is that he isn’t sure where he can find this type of excitement.

“I know,” Lucas said.  I can call up my good friend, Alexa, and see if she has any excitement going on at her house.

Alexa picked up the phone on the fifth ring and sounded like she was out of breath.  “Hello,” she said.

“Hey Alexa, It’s Lucas.  What’s going on? Why did it take you so long to answer the phone?” he asked.

“Oh Lucas.  I’m so glad it’s you.  You’re not going to believe what is going on over here.  When I woke up this morning, I thought I would go outside and have a swim.  I got on my bathing suit and put on some sunscreen and out I went.  Well, guess what I found in the swimming pool?” Alexa asked him.

“I have no idea,” said Lucas.

“The swimming pool was filled with lizards!  There were green ones and blue ones and even orange ones,” Alexa said, “I think I even screamed when I saw them.  I was so surprised.”

“I would be surprised too,” agreed Lucas, “So what did you do about those lizards, Alexa?”

“Well, I thought they might be hungry after swimming all morning, so I went inside to get them some cereal.  I grabbed the cereal box and a couple of bowls and spoons.  Then I went into the fridge to get the milk and guess what I found in the fridge?” Alexa asked him.

“I have no idea,” said Lucas.

“I found a clown.  I don’t know how he got in there.  He was kind of big to be fitting into the fridge, but he sort of curled up so that his nose was on his knees and then he just wiggled right in there between the tomatoes and the bologna.  It was so weird.”

“Holy crow, Alexa.  What did you do about the clown in your fridge?” Lucas asked her.

“Well I forgot about getting cereal for the lizards, I was just so surprised,” she said.  “I thought the clown was probably getting a little cold from being in the fridge all morning, so I helped him get out of the fridge and gave him a chair to sit on.  Then I thought I would go downstairs to get him a blanket so that he could start to warm up.  I got all the way downstairs and opened the laundry room door, and guess what I found in the laundry room?” Alexa asked.

“I have no idea,” said Lucas.

“I found a racing car in the laundry room.  It was bright red and it could talk.  Wow, that was a real shocker I’ll tell you.  When I opened the door, the racing car said to me, ‘hey, this is my room’ and he was kind of grumpy about it.” Alexa said.

“Holy crow, Alexa.  What did you do about the grumpy red racing car in your laundry room?” Lucas asked her.

“Well I was a little grumpy myself because this is my house and the red racing car has no business being in the laundry room but he was looking super crabby so I thought maybe he just needed some cheering up.  I decided that I was going to go get my little guitar and sing him a song to cheer him up.  So I went back upstairs, into my room and started searching for my little guitar.  It was hard to find.  I looked in the closet but it wasn’t there.  I looked on my shelf, but it wasn’t there.  Then I looked under the bed, and guess what I found under my bed?” Alexa asked.

“I have no idea,” said Lucas.

“A jar of buttons,” she said.

“Buttons?  Why in the world do you have a jar of buttons under your bed?  That’s just kind of weird,” Lucas said.

Alexa started to laugh and laugh.  “I know,” she said, “it’s so creepy weird.  I have no idea where those buttons came from, Lucas.”

Lucas thought that Alexa was starting to sound a little crazy.  This spooky day was getting to be a bit much and Lucas thought, he should help Alexa get rid of all of these strange house guests.

“Here’s what you need to do, Alexa,” Lucas said.  “Get the jar of buttons and go talk to the clown.  Tell him that if he wants the buttons, and he will because of course clowns love buttons, he needs to gather up all of the lizards and get them into the talking red car.  Then, shake the jar of buttons over the car so that the clown jumps in too.  Give that red car a push, sending everyone off down the street.

Alexa hung up with Lucas and did just that.  The clown ran to gather up all of the lizards and then hopped into the car himself to get to the buttons.  One good push and Alexa was free of them all.  She was so happy that she finally hopped into the pool for a swim.

Lucas saved the day.

*******************************************************

I'll try to have some pictures in future, but if any creative peoples want to contribute a little lizard, clown or car pic,.......  lol

11 comments:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Only you....how sweet to make a weekly story for Lucas! It's a cute one too! I'm going to read it to Jake next time he's over. I'm a little afraid to open my fridge now though, in case there's a creepy clown in there!

Gloria said...

This is terrific ♥ It's so wild, colorful, and fast paced- tfs!

Tina Bradley said...

Love it!!! T.

Kei said...

It's such a cute idea to send stories like that! My Mum used to write a lot of stories for me and my sister and they were always the best. I bet your nephew is going to absolutely love your stories!

Mindy said...

Too funny. I'll read it to the kids and get you a real review. :o)

P.S. Pickles and ladybugs. There's my randomness for the day.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Great idea to send Lucas stories!!! He'll love receiving mail and the fact that it's a story about him will be very well received. I think it's wonderful that you want to help develop a love of reading. Children learn by example. If those around read, chances are the children will, too. Sorry, the teacher in me talking here.

Paul Jennings is an Australian author whose books my own children LOVED reading when they were kids. HIs stories are full of kid humour (puke, farts, burps, gooey things), yet funnily enough, are enjoyable to adults, too. I would often choose his books to read with reluctant readers in my classes and they were almost always a hit. One of my favourites is The Cabbage Patch Fib.

Paper And Ponder said...

Kudos to you, Terry, for your thoughtfulness & for wanting to foster the love of reading in your nephew! Your fun story is like one of my crazy dreams! : )

Magic Love Crow said...

This is excellent! So much fun! You are so talented! I'm not a kid and I had fun reading the story! LOL!

Kara @ Petals to Picots Crochet said...

So funny! He is going to love it!

Unknown said...

I adore this idea!! He's going to love it and have something to keep forever! I can't wait to read it to my kiddos I truly think they will get a huge kick out of it!

Tina said...

That is the cutest story. I LOVE it. :o) I'm sure your nephew is going to love it, also.